Monday 9 February 2015

When I'm gone

As some of you may know, I have only 2 months left in South Africa before I leave to teach English in Thailand, and thereafter travel around Asia as I have always wanted. Having this brief time left with my family and friends has really made me think about my priorities, and how they could inevitably change while I am in a foreign and unfamiliar country.

I didn't write out a list of resolutions for the new year as most do, its not really my style. I thought I would instead make a list of priorities to remind myself of whilst I am in Thailand.
I will try new things

I am going to be a traveller instead of a tourist. I am going to learn about the culture, try different foods and really explore what the locals do. It is very easy for someone in a foreign country to try as hard as they can to find some familiarity.

I once read an article about a man who would buy a packet of Lays lightly salted chips as soon as he arrived in a foreign country, and I find it endearing how people attempt to avoid that culture shock. It will be hard at first but I feel that if you are in a new place, why leave home if not to try new things?

I will learn the language

Even though I am going to Thailand to teach English to foreign students, I can't wait to learn to speak Thai. Whether I only learn a few general phrases and questions, or end up forming conversations, it is going to be so exciting learning a language that isn't from South Africa (we do have 11 languages after all).

I think that the language of a country isn't just for communication, it is the foundation of how people understand one another and how their culture shapes who they are. I think about all the South African sayings and accents we have, and it really opens up a whole new world of appreciation for another country.

I will keep up with friends

I have a close family, and making time for them seems like a natural part of my day that I don't even have to think about whilst traveling. What is difficult, however, is keeping up with friends. I think of the days in high school where you arrive each day and all your friends are there in one place. For the rest of your life thereafter you actually have to make an effort to see the special people in your life, and you also get to decide who these people are.

Sometimes I find myself noticing an update on social media saying so-and-so just got engaged or this person just had a baby, and I wonder how we ever lost touch to the point where I only know about their lives from a computer screen. As we go about our days there will be those that make a brief feature and others that stick around forever. With the technology we have these days I will ensure that the people that are important to me will remain in my life, whether we are living on other sides of the world or not.

I will be careful

I am the kind of person that can be extremely spontaneous and impulsive, especially when I am swept up in the moment. It is always fun taking risks and trying new things but I know that while I am in Thailand I need to be careful and conscious of every decision I make. The last thing I want to do is regret something I did just because it felt right in the moment.

I am lucky that I have a very level-headed boyfriend who sometimes advises me when I am being unrealistic, or else I would be swimming in the fountain of a hotel at midnight (this could still happen). In so many ways I am ready for the adventures that lie ahead, and I will do anything I can to make the most of my time away from home. 2015 is going to be a year that stands out from the rest of them, I can feel it. x

No comments :

Post a Comment