Tuesday 3 February 2015

Italian dreaming: Pisa to Florence

The journey into Italy was painted with luscious greenery, aged tunnels and farms that went for miles. The humidity suddenly became evident as we got out of the bus at a service station. I swallowed warm air along with my first proper piece of Italian pizza there- it was cheesy and delicious and I ordered another. The system of buying anything in Italy is very odd. You first pay for your items, and then you collect them, or you get a ticket for the items and then pay for them... okay I might not be explaining the system too well but all I can say is that it is complicated and very much based on honesty.

Then it was time for the Leaning Tower of Pisa, in Pisa. This architectural mystery was obviously on my list of things to see, so I was embarrrasingly thrilled about the whole experience. What do you do when you come face to face with the famous tower? You pose in a ridiculous manner of course. Whether you are holding the whole thing up with your bare hands or  giving it a lick with your tongue outstretched, you have to seize the opportunity.  

Me holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa

Off to Florence, or Firenze as the Italians say, where we would be staying for the next few days. Our dinner that evening was nothing short of spectacular, with a five course meal consisting of cheese platters, tomato meatballs, pasta, risotto, panettone and a consistent flow of prosecco (dry white Italian wine). I can't tell you how I found the space to fit each course, but there was no chance to laze around after the meal. It was time for karaoke. 

We went to The Red Garter after dinner, an American bar in the streets of Florence. Skipping the queue that carried on down the street (thanks to our well-connected tour guide), we walked in to a bustling bar full of foreigners and Italians alike. The first drink I ordered was amaretto on ice, and in my food coma state I forgot about the free-pour policy in Italy. Instead of getting a small tumbler I got an entire glass of amaretto, but once I was told I would be singing 'where is the love?' by the Black Eyed Peas on stage in front of everyone in the bar, I carried on sipping on my half full glass. 

The next day was one big tour of Florence, and I had my walking shoes ready for the cobbled streets and the balmy weather. We went to the Palazzo della Signoria, where we saw the replica Statue of David. The real version is in Galleria dell'Accademia, but apparently we couldn't go in that day (same difference I guess). I revelled in the magnificence that is Uffizi Gallery, and walked through the Ponte Vecchio over the Arno River. I couldn't help but get a maraschino cherry and chocolate gelato, which literally changed the way I would see ice-cream forever.  

The replica of the Statue of David

Uffizi Gallery
Ponte Vecchio
After a long but adventure filled day, I felt truly in awe of everything around me. This is what I consider one of the best moments in life, because it so rarely happens that we get to experience it. The Italian people are what really makes the atmosphere of Italy, with couples kissing passionately on shaded benches (just like in the movies), long lost friends shouting greetings at each other in the streets, and charismatic restaurant owners that offer you free bottles of wine. Unforgettable. x

Part 2
Italian dreaming: Roma

No comments :

Post a Comment