Thursday 12 February 2015

4 Things I Learnt in the Bush

Something I really appreciate about my relationship with my boyfriend Trav is that we are so different in the way we see the world, but we get to learn and appreciate these differences together. When it comes to holidays for example, I am all for any place with the sun and the sea, and he prefers camping and the bush. When I go to a restaurant I always order the same kinds of food, and he will order the strangest meal no one has ever tried. I am impulsive when it comes to making a decision and he thinks it through first. These are some of the factors that allow each other to expand our minds and our perspectives, especially when it comes to holidays and traveling.

Our recent holiday to the private game reserve Kube Yini in Mkuze, Zululand proves no different. We had been in hot and tropical Mozambique over the Christmas holidays, and now it was Trav's turn to do what he loves best: be in the bush. Here is what I learnt...


Trav and I at the lookout point

1. It's not all room service and white linen

I have no shame in admitting I am a city girl at heart, but I found that it was so important to go out of my comfort zone to truly enjoy myself in the bush. Just because I like the urban way of life and the convenience that comes with it, doesn't mean I can't 'rough it' when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes it just takes a little adjusting to a new environment and then I'm ready to go with my binoculars around my neck and a good pair of walking shoes.

It is a more simplified way of life, which allows you to really clear your mind and even do some soul-searching and reflecting. The most inspiring moments of life can't be bought with money, but rather seen, felt, heard and touched. The day I went on a muddy bush walk and stood a few metres away from a female Rhino and her baby lying under a fever tree will be forever captured in my mind.

Spotting the same Rhino on a game drive later that day

2. It's okay to do nothing

We spend our lives filling up our calendars, weekends and free time with aimless activities and over-loaded schedules. Sometimes the greatest and most difficult thing to do is simply nothing-yes I said it! This is the one time in life where you can do absolutely nothing and not feel guilty. In Italy this is called 'dolce far niente', which means 'the sweetness of doing nothing' (#eatpraylove). How can you possibly argue with an Italian about how to live life when they seem to have it all figured out?

Waking up in the morning with no where to be and nothing planned is exhilarating. Deep breathes full of fresh air while staring into the African plain, afternoon naps after reading a good book or enjoying a glass of wine sitting by the fire. A true holiday is doing exactly what you want, even when that means nothing at all.


An african thistle
3. Take a technology break

Being in the bush means having no technology (laptops, cellphones, internet), which is actually a gift in itself for someone like me who spends a good part of my day on all of the above. I have spoken so often on my blog and with friends about how easy it is for our generation to get caught up in social media and instant messaging, that we actually miss important moments in life.

Putting down the gadgets means face-to-face interaction, better communication and a new found appreciation for one another. I had actually forgotten how much fun it was playing card games and general knowledge quizzes with my family and friends, and having drinks around a fire whilst leopards make mating calls in the distance. You can't have that experience with the Television on believe me.



4. Appreciate your surroundings

It is very common for us South Africans to treat a holiday in the bush as the norm, and forget what a unique and highly sought-after experience we actually have right on our doorstep. I am reminded of this when reading travel blogs and watching tv programmes about foreigners who describe going on a 'safari' in Africa as a bucket list moment.

Our beautiful country has so many animals, places and experiences that you can't find anywhere else in the world. I went from catching a terrapin (a small turtle) in the dam instead of a fish, to having a bush breakfast over a fire that the boys had made from scratch. How amazing are these moments that we take for granted as South Africans? I know I often do.



It is so important in this fast-paced life we live to cherish the moments we have away from all the noise and chaos. Recharge your body, let go of your worries, switch off your cell phone and leave your watch in the drawer. You will thank yourself. x


No comments :

Post a Comment