Tuesday 17 February 2015

Italian dreaming: Let's stay in Roma

Before my trip to Europe, I have to admit I was more interested in seeing Rome than any other city. I was a biased tourist on all counts and I didn't care. Call me a dreamer, but all I could think of was sitting at a Roman restaurant eating pasta and sipping on red wine whilst street musicians stood on the cobbled street playing Italian music with a saxophone in the background. The funny thing is that one night this all actually happened.

Italian performers outside a restaurant in central Rome
Oh Rome you mysterious and intoxicating place! When I arrived in Rome I decided that it was a good thing we had a tour guide, or I would have completely lost myself in the city for fear of ever having to leave. No exaggeration, I had to get pulled onto that bus ankles first on our last day.

Another thing about Rome is the food, as if Florence and Pisa wasn't enough! If you don't eat yourself silly in Italy then what are you actually doing there I ask you? The pizza (thick slices, thin slices, cheesy, meaty, crunchy... I could go on), the pasta, the wine, the gelato. I actually loved the humidity too because it made me feel like I was back in Durban in some ways, and in every other way it was nothing like Durban at all.

One of the many restaurants we went to in Rome
It's not all sunshine and meatballs though, let me tell you about the biggest mistake I ever made whilst traveling. We all went out for a night on the town in Rome and I overslept the next morning, which meant I missed the tour to The Vatican City. I wasn't the only one though, and two other friends and I had to somehow make our way to The Colosseum so that we could meet up with the rest of the group after the tour.

Along with a whole lot of broken Italian and panicked speed walking, we stood in front of The Colosseum on time, only to find that The Vatican tour had been delayed and our group would not arrive for another two hours. Our tour guide had our tickets to gain entry to The Colosseum, which meant the best we could do was stand outside and accept the fact that we would never see inside (one day people, one day!). The moral of the story is if you are going to go out and have a few drinks, at least make sure you get home at a reasonable hour and get someone to wake you up the next day.

Our only glimpse of The Colosseum

Fontana di Trevi (The Trevi Fountain) was so beautiful- I can't really think of a better descriptive word than that. Other than the crowds of tourists surrounding the landmark, and trying to put their feet in the water (I ask you whyyyy with desperation in my voice!), you really need a moment to take it all in before you toss a coin into the fountain. There are many variations as to what the coins signify, but they say if you toss one coin and you will return to Rome, and two coins you will fall in love in Rome.

The Trevi Fountain

We were told that the best was left for last, as we walked in the direction of The Pantheon. I had only been told about this building, but had no idea what to expect. Well let me just say I was blown away as it came into site. You cannot comprehend the sheer space that The Pantheon covers, swallowing everything around it until its all you care to see. Photo's don't do the building justice, as you stand in front of the giant doors and they diminish you to an ant. Seeing such magnificence right before your eyes really makes you appreciate the architecture and history of Rome in its purest form.

Our tour guide Sophie outside The Pantheon

What an amazing adventure, I will be back Roma! There is still so much I want to see and do and eat, which can't be rushed when you are in such a place. x

3 comments :

  1. Hi Lorna, it is people like you that make me want to keep blogging! Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely have a look at your blog :-) Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You really should, you won't want to leave!

      Delete