Wednesday 20 August 2014

The perfect birthday dinner

It's my birthday tomorrow so I thought I would share my planning and preparation, along with TONS of help from Pinterest. I really wanted to have a relaxed dinner party with a few friends and family just to celebrate my special day.

All of these ideas are so easy to do and only require a small budget. I like to keep things simple, because I find that as soon as you try too hard to impress everyone or spend too much money it doesn't usually have the desired effect. It's never easy to cater for a group of people so I thought I would have a variety of snack foods to keep everyone going. I have also included a few ideas for atmosphere and decor.

The details
It's always nice to add small touches to the evening to make it seem more put together, whether its adding tags of peoples names or having a nice arrangement in the middle of the table. I saw an idea where each placemate is a piece of black paper and you simply write each guests name in chalk on the black paper. I love monochrome, it always looks more sophisticated than it is. Another idea is to present knives and forks in a serviette tied into the shape of a bow tie. This is perfect for a barbeque or help yourself type event.





The snacks
When it comes to snacks, always provide a variation to meet all your guests needs. I like to include healthy options alongside meaty and pastry based snacks. When it comes to chips, my number one tip is to make lots of popcorn- it is filling, cheap and easy.



For a basic dip with alternatives that you can have with almost anything, try this:
  • 2 cups of plain smooth cream cheese with
  • 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce or
  • 1 tablespoon of mayo and a handful of grated cucumber or
  • 1 tablespoon of basil pesto and a handful of chopped tomatoes

The drinks
The latest trend that I've noticed at quite a few parties and dinners I've been to is drinking jars. I'm not sure if this is the correct term for them but they are such a good idea. You can either collect jars beforehand or buy them at a reasonable price at most bulk stores. Add straws and labels for each person for a personalized touch. Depending on the type of event you are having, provide a homemade lemondade or an alcoholic punch to fill the jars with. Here is my own fail-proof punch recipe:
  • 1 bottle of vodka
  • 2 Litres of berry fruit juice
  • 1 Litre of Sprite or soda water
  • A cup or two of ice blocks
  • A few pieces of mint
  • A handful of berries (optional)


The cake
I've decided that I'm going to attempt an oreo chocolate cake, since oreos are my favourite biscuits and I'm pretty sure they would make anything taste good!



For the recipe have a look on the blog page below. This cake is life-changing.
http://peachesncreamblog.blogspot.ca/2014/05/chocolate-oreo-cake.html

A fun adult alternative to cake is to make cupcakes with your chosen colour icing, and place a mini bottle of alcohol on each cupcake. Very effective!

The music
Have some form of music playing, whether its in the background or its the focal point (for a dancefloor). The day before, make a playlist on Itunes and select about 50 to 100 songs you think would suit the evening and that your guests would enjoy. I personally try stick to old school music and a few chilled songs instead of pop radio songs as they can be a bit annoying.

The bathroom
You usually never think of this, but for people who have never been to your home (or the place you are having the event), finding the bathroom is a hassle. Instead of having everyone ask you at some point in the evening where the bathroom is, put up a fun sign or an indication of the direction to go to. This also stops people from wandering around your home or getting lost at an event.

By keeping the planning minimal and the ideas simple, you will have less stress on the day and be able to actually enjoy your own event. I'm no party planner, but I know these ideas are effective. x

No comments :

Post a Comment