Monday 11 August 2014

9 Wise Lessons my Grandmothers taught me

I personally think that advice from grandparents isn't used enough by the younger generation. These are people who have lived much longer than you, and are therefore much wiser than you. They know a lot about a lot of things, don't be fooled by their politeness and prudence.
Those of you who are lucky enough to still have a grandparent, gain as many life lessons as you can from them (unless they are raging alcoholics or spend their days at the slot machines). I can say with all honesty that I have been blessed with the most amazing grandparents, who have taught me so much. My grandmothers have had a significant impact on who I am as a woman, and I pride myself on all the information I have gathered from them over the years. Here are some of the lessons they have taught me:

1. Take your make-up off before you go to bed
This may seem like common sense, but think how many times you have come home (either tired or drunk) and forgotten to take your make-up off. I don't want to go into a gross scientific explanation my gran gave of what make-up does to your skin if you leave it on overnight, just trust me. Other than it being bad for your skin, no one likes waking up next to a girl with messed make-up. It was cute last night, but not so much the next morning. At least use a wet wipe.

2. Use correct pronunciation
It is very easy to fall into the majority of our generation that constantly use slang words, swear, and speak with a lazy tongue. I am guilty of all of the above, until I visit my grandmother and her eyes bulge as I pronounce hair and fish as 'heh' and 'fush'. I quickly adjust the way I talk, reminding myself that I was privately educated. My gran even went as far as to say 'talk like you have a hot spoon in your mouth'. Strange but helpful. When the worst thing that has come out of my grans mouth is 'Christopher Columbus!', I know she's a good role model for me.

3. Treasure vs Trash
My grandmother grew up moving from one home to another all over the country. Throughout the years up until now, she has learnt from moving so many times what to keep and what to throw away. This might not sound so important now, but when you have your own home one day you will quickly realise you can't hold on to everything. This is difficult for me because I am a very sentimental person (I have been known to keep movie date ticket stubs and party invitations from high school), but I have slowly trained myself to get rid of things I don't need. When you have unneccessary things lurking in draws and stuffed in cupboards that serve no purpose, they become a burden. Decide for yourself what you think is trash, and what you should keep as treasure.

4. Table manners
Eating with your mouth closed, saying excuse me before leaving the table... the list is endless. You may assume that your parents taught you table manners, but often parents are less strict, and don't place as much importance on it. Grandparents, however, make sure that it is enforced at every meal every day. My grans favourite saying is "all un-cooked joints off the table!", meaning that under no circumstance should any part of your body be on the table whilst eating. If there is more than one set of knives and forks, work your way from the outside in, and always put your napkin on your lap. Thanks gran, I would be a savage-like caveman if it weren't for you.

5. How to pack like a pro
If you are reading this you are about to be let in on a secret that could change your life. Ok that was slightly dramatic, but it will make packing for a holiday easier. My gran somehow managed to master the art of packing, because she had so many things and only one bag to fit it in (every girls problem). Here it goes...she rolls up her clothes. There is a way of doing it where you fold your clothes nicely, then roll them into a neat cylinder and pack them strategically in your bag. At first I thought it was impossible that rolling your clothes used up less space than just folding them, but it DOES! It makes me excited just thinking about the revelation I had when I tested out her method myself. The clothes rolling procedure works, you're welcome.

6. Always look your  personal best
Growing up (and especially through high school) I learnt that everywhere you go you must make an effort to look your best, because you never know who you might see. My grandmothers are always impeccably dressed every day without fail, and they have set a standard for me through the lessons they have taught me. Your fingernails and toes must always look nice, whether they are painted or just clean and neat, because ugly chipped nails means you have dirty underwear (don't ask why). If you are having a bad hair day- tie it up, and if you havnt had enough sleep, wear sunglasses whenever you can. Looking your personal best means that you care about yourself, and there is nothing more captivating than a well-dressed woman.

7. Be honest
My gran has this beautiful way of always telling the truth and saying exactly what she thinks, even if it might offend someone. The reason why I say it's beautiful is because when she pays you a compliment, you know that she genuinely means it, and its better than any empty compliment anyone else has given you. How often do you give someone a compliment just to be nice, or agree with someone's opinion just to be polite? Its the easier choice, but not always the wisest. I dont mean that you should be a rude or difficult person, just be honest. When my gran told my mom and I to stop dying our hair so dark because we look like "that lady from the Adams family", we actually listened, and to this day I don't dye my hair anymore because I realised it suited me better.

8. The importance of a hand-written letter
When I was little I was so fascinated with my grans writing desk. She would sit at it and write notes, shopping lists and thank you letters using pretty pieces of different coloured paper and neat little envelopes and ribbons. When she was done she would lift the lid of the desk up again and it would turn back into another piece of furniture in the room. To this day it is probably one of my favourite things in her home. The valuable lesson she taught me is that there is nothing more thoughful than a handwritte letter. This is especially relevant in our time where sending a quick sms or email is our main form of communication. Rather give me a hand written letter than a gift any day!

9. Act like a lady
How can anyone treat you like a lady if you don't act like one? Being a lady has progressed over the years, from the 1950'5 wife who is seen and not heard, to the millenial wife who is intelligent and independent. Being a lady has numerous connotations, and you have to attempt to be the full package. Im talking manners, the way you talk, the way you dress, and most importantly the way you treat other people. The day that you lose interest in being a lady is the day you lose respect for yourself. It isnt an anti-feminist thing, its the exact opposite actually. Being a lady means empowering yourself as a woman to act in a way you would personally be proud of. Both of my grandmothers are true ladies, and they command respect wherever they go without saying a word. x

No comments :

Post a Comment