Tuesday 19 August 2014

The grateful book

“It’s a troublesome world. All the people who are in it are troubled with troubles almost every minute. You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you’re lucky you’re not”- Dr. Seuss, author


I want to share the experience I had whilst reading the book The Secret-The Magic by Rhonda Byrne. My mom had told me to read it after she found it at her book club, and I just put it in the growing pile of books on my bedside table.
It sat there for a few months (I hope none of the ladies in my mom’s book club are reading this) but I eventually picked it up one day and read it.
The first chapter started off with a request to make a list of all the things I want in my life, whether it was success in my career, good health or a lovely home one day. I made a list with a slightly doubtful mindset, but it was stimulating to actually consider my personal goals. It then came to the chapter on being grateful for what I already have in life. I was quite taken by the quote in this chapter, “counting your blessings is one of the most powerful practices you can ever do”, and I didn’t realise how powerful it would actually be until later on.
As I carried on to the next chapter, I was told to start using a grateful book. It said to list at least ten things that you are grateful for each day, and it can be almost anything. The next morning, as soon as I woke up, I opened up an empty notebook and wrote my first ten things. At the time, I was in a job that I wasn’t enjoying, but I thought maybe this book would help me. At first I found it quite challenging, but as the days went on I became more and more conscious of what to write in my notebook to be grateful about. I would take a few minutes every morning to really think about the things in my life that I appreciate, whether it was my good health, the lovely breakfast I had or a person that made me laugh that day. You will have to read the book to understand the whole journey you go through, it's so worth it.
I realised after a few weeks that I had subconsciously programmed my brain to have a positive state of mind throughout the day because I was literally focusing on what to be thankful for. Even though I wasn’t enjoying the job I was in, I wrote in my book how grateful I was that I worked in an air-conditioned office, with a beautiful view of the garden outside and my very own desk and computer. Even though at the end of the day these aspects of my job obviously weren’t enough to stay there, the things that I focused on being grateful for got me through those months of unhappiness.
Be grateful for the things you do have, and strive towards the things that you don't have. Revel in those moments where you are completely content, such as that glass of wine after a long day at work, or sitting by the fire on a cold day. These moments don’t have a price tag, and if you don’t realise how to truly savour and enjoy them, they will slip through your fingers. Being grateful is always harder when you have never gone without, make it a conscious effort until it becomes a habit.
To this day, I still write in my grateful notebook, even if its once a week, just to remind myself how much I have in my life. Along with being grateful, comes more opportunities to be grateful for, and so the positive cycle of gratitude begins. Needless to say, I’m grateful I picked that book up and read it because it changed my outlook completely. x

No comments :

Post a Comment