Thursday 28 August 2014

Our love story

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend Travis for nearly a year. I am not one of those girls who floods news feeds about us on social media or irritates everyone with stories of how much I love him- it's not my style. I try to avoid this because I firmly feel that a relationship is between two people, not everyone you know.


I would, however, like to boast about how lucky I genuinely am to have found someone who just gets me. He makes it seem effortless to be in a relationship with him. Every couple has their story of how they met perfected after telling it so many times, but I have never really told ours the way I would want to. It's usually a short explanation from both of us, but because I'm a hopeless romantic I want to share it (Trav I apologise in advance if your friends ever tease you about this haha).

A friend of mine knew Travis through a mutual friend, and she would often talk fondly about what a genuine and friendly guy he was. Whenever she spoke about him I found myself wanting to know more, subtly prompting questions about him (I doubt it was that subtle now that I think of it). I once even looked him up on Facebook to put a face to a name, and I was instantly attracted to this person I had never met.

I can't explain the urge I had to meet him and get to know him, and I kept brushing it off thinking that I was interested in the idea of this perfect guy that I had created in my head. He was this mystery person that I never seemed to cross paths with in the past, even though we lived in the same small town and had a similar social circle. Furthermore, I found out that we had gone to high schools right next to each other for 5 years.

I was later told that he also knew about me from our mutual friends, and they spurred us both on with relentless teasing. There were times when we were both at the same place and didn't see each other, or one left before the other arrived. It was this frustrating situation where we both wanted to meet each other but didn't know how.

Finally, one night we were both at the same club with a group of our friends. After everything my mom said to me about 'never meeting a decent guy in a club' I guess I'm the exception to the rule. Trav was sitting with a friend and I bravely went and sat next to him. We spoke for over two hours about anything and everything, and we had this chemistry that I had never experienced in my life. This calmness came over me as we were talking, with the realisation that I had found the person I was meant to be with. I'm not joking, it was real. Out of nowhere he asked if he could kiss me, and I was completely caught off guard both with actually being asked, and the fact that he wanted to. There was a little voice in my head saying "don't kiss him. Not in this club, not like this. It has to be perfect".

I woke up the next morning not knowing if he would remember me or if he would try contact me, but soon enough he had inboxed me on Facebook asking for my number. We started speaking that day and just never stopped. And yes, we finally kissed... and it was perfect.

We don't have a roaring dramatic relationship with huge fights and weird public displays of affection, nor do we have a secretive relationship where no one actually knows what goes on behind closed doors. We have the kind of love that is more like a mutual bond. We are not two halves that make a whole, we are two wholes, each with our own identity. He gets my weird sense of humour and I get his adventurous goals. We are both going in the same direction with each other, but in our own way, if that makes sense. Well it makes sense to us anyway and that's all that matters.

I think people so easily forget the small things in a relationship that make it work, and it really does take consideration for each other and good communication. There is no winning formula, you just have to find the right person. x


No comments :

Post a Comment