Saturday 9 May 2015

Lumphini Park

Lumphini Park was one of the must-see places in Bangkok that I heard a lot about before arriving, and I was quite excited to spend the day there and see what it was like for myself. Other than choosing one of the hottest days I have experienced in BKK so far (sweat is a given when you live here), it really was all I hoped it would be. I have never been to New York but Lumphini Park seems like a smaller version, with that crazy contrast between the city skyscrapers and the rare greenness of the park.



Right before the entrance there is a huge statue of King Rama IV, who created the park in the 1920's. I really had a moment taking in the views and admiring Bangkok, right in the heart of the busy city. As you walk in there are stalls lining each side where you can buy the usual thai convenience foods and snacks, as well as ice coffee (my personal addiction since moving here) and cooldrinks. Be sure to buy a little extra to feed the fish if you would like, there are tons of them by the bridges!



We went and found a shady spot under a tree by one of the man-made lakes, where we saw turtles peeking their heads out of the water and lots of interesting fish. It wasn't long before we saw our first monitor lizard at the waters edge, which was one of the reasons I wanted to go the the park! After about an hour we had seen our fair share of them, both land and in the water (I wasn't aware of the fact that they could swim). Whilst watching them I was told by a friendly stranger how monitor lizards are poisonous, but they rarely bite you unless you cause them great alarm. This didn't make me any less scared of them-they are huge!



After admiring the abundance of wildlife from the side of the lake we decided to take a ride on a swan shaped paddle-boat, which is my idea of a good time. These paddle-boats cost only 40 Baht (with a 40 Baht deposit that you get back when you're finished), and they are well worth the small fee. You really get the opportunity to admire the park from the water and have fun whilst steering your way around! We had two little girls in another boat giggling away whilst trying to follow along behind us. It was just too cute!




We then went to play around with the 'exercise equipment' which is used more for entertainment sake than anything else if I'm honest. Other activities around the park includes cycling, running along the 2km track or joining in on an open aerobics class if you're interested. Because there is very little open space in the Bangkok CBD, it really is a nice change of atmosphere to get some exercise or take a break from the hustle and bustle. I have heard that there are even ballroom dancing classes on a Sunday- how cool is that?






Other than the immense heat we experienced that day, it really was a worthwhile experience and I will be going back very soon! I have heard since we visited that there are sometimes live shows and performances that take place at the park on weekends, so I am going to keep an eye out for events coming up!

* Get to Lumphini Park from the Sala Daeng BTS or Silom MRT



No comments :

Post a Comment