Thursday 30 April 2015

Chatuchak- the market of all markets

I love a good market, ask anyone who knows me. Was I prepared for Chatuchak market when we arrived? The answer is no... no I was not. Let me tell you the basic stats first before I go into detail. The Chatuchak Weekend Market (or Jatujak as known by the locals) is arguably the biggest market in the world, with approximately 15000 stalls and shops covering over 27 acres of land. Yes I know, its unbelievable. Don't go with an empty purse!!



Before we arrived at the market we hung out in the Chatuchak park for a while, which is really peaceful and green (a nice break from the city life) and fed some pigeons. I think of my favourite comedian Kevin Hart in this moment when he says "Do you know how happy you have to be to feed pigeons?". Damn straight Kevin. Along the way through the park you see people dozing off on blankets in the morning sun, others having picnics and catching up with friends. It really is a cheerful atmosphere.  Even better is to do your shopping at the market beforehand and then sit in a nice shady spot at the park and eat your well deserved snacks.



The market is cleverly designed so that you walk around in loops and end up at the entrance at the end. Don't think this will stop you from getting lost though-I could easily have drifted off and spent a good part of my day in one area. First off, get a nice cold bottle of water which is cleverly situated at stalls at all the entrances. It is going to be a long hot day...

We started off in the food section (of course) and knew that we had to be smart about where we were going to eat because with such a ridiculous variety of choices, you could upset yourself by eating too soon and missing out on the rest of the food stalls. This is the story of my life in Thailand-they are SO serious about food. I'm talking curries, pad thai, stir fry, tender pork skewers, coconut ice-cream, seafood paella, mango sticky rice and chocolate covered frozen bananas. Needless to say the walk back to the station was a difficult one with the amount we consumed (and did I mention the heat?).



There were loads of stalls in the 'pet section' where the owners asked for us not to take photo's, and I can only guess that it has something to do with illegal sale of exotic animals. When I say exotic I am referring to the fact that I saw animals that I have either only seen on Discovery Channel, or didn't even know they existed in the first place. I am talking baby owls, eagles, lemurs, monkeys, iguanas, every kind of fish you could think of, crabs, turtles, puppies of all breeds... it would be exhausting to try and list them all. Safe to say I was left speechless and with a slight feeling of "I am pretty sure this shit is illegal". Only in Bangkok!




Then was time for my favourite section of any market (as I am sure the females will agree), the CLOTHES. Oh my goodness where do I even start? People in Bangkok are for the most part very fashionable, especially in wealthy areas such as Siam and Silom. It therefore came as no surprise to me that even their markets hold the most incredible selection of interesting, trendy and well-made garments. Not only that, there were hats, bags, jewellery and scarves of every possible variation. I can't tell you in words how difficult it was to not go broke whilst we were there! At the same time pretty much everything is reasonably priced or on sale, so you will find plenty of bargains (especially if you dig for stuff).


Oh and how could I forget watching a cooking demonstration by a large Italian man whilst a slick female dj was playing tech house music on the decks beside him? Or the three Thai gentlemen playing honkey tonk country music with a banjo, spoons and a mandolin, dressed in full denim gear and cowboy boots? It is hard to believe, but I saw this with my own eyes and loved every minute.




Leaving the market of all markets that day after hours of walking and taking in the surroundings, I couldn't help but think that Bangkok just knows what its doing. I mean they reeeaaalllly have it together here, and I am spectacularly impressed. x

*Get off the BTS at Mo Chit- you will see the market before you even get off at the station believe me.

No comments :

Post a Comment