Thursday 23 April 2015

Bangkok Lessons

Hello Everyone! I apologise for being absent for just over two weeks (it feels like months), but a lot has happened in such a short space of time that having time for blogging my thoughts just hasn't been an option until now.

As I have mentioned before, Travis and I have moved to Bangkok in Thailand to teach English. I have decided that because my life has changed so drastically since living in a foreign country, so should my blog. I am still going to keep consistent with the different topics I like to discuss, but there will obviously be a whole lot of Thailand experiences coming your way. I have only been living in Bangkok for a short while and it feels like I have so much so say, but I also won't be one of those people that breaks down every moment and emotion of the day, I promise!

In the time I have been here my brain has been overloaded with information to the point where I feel physically exhausted. It's amazing how completely different one culture and environment can be from another. These are some of the important lessons Bangkok has taught me in just a few weeks-some more forcefully than others let me tell you...




Smile, smile, smile

In the land of smiles, nothing could be more simple than to smile back. People in general are friendly and kind here, and there is this sense of acknowledgement and respect when one smiles at another. This was especially true during the Songkran New Year water festival last week, when the entire city used buckets of water and water guns to drench each other for three days. How can you not smile and laugh when a stranger with a mischievous look on his face squirts you with ice cold water and shouts 'Happy New Year!'. It warms up my heart in ways I can't describe.



Watch out for scooters

Most people assume that scooters and motorbikes are for the road, just as cars are. Not in Bangkok! Whether you are on a foot path, in a parking lot, walking on the sidewalk or down a narrow alley you have to watch your back and make sure there isn't a scooter or two just behind you. The frustrating part is that they are such sneaky things-you never hear them coming! They also weave through crowds of people with ease, so you can't move around spontaneously unless you want to be bowled over. I get serious pangs of jealousy that I don't have a scooter of my own...they are just so damn cool.



Go to sleep late

The first night we arrived at our hotel in Bangkok we were starving, but is was quite late so we were concerned about where to find food. To our delight, we walked only a few blocks before finding restaurants, bars and food stalls open EVERYWHERE at 10pm. How amazing is that? During the day Bangkok is reasonably quiet whilst everyone is at work or at home, then at night time the city comes alive before your eyes. Markets appear on side streets, malls bustle with people and bars with live bands get the vibe going. We have now got into the rhythm of things, and enjoy the more laid-back way of life. For now it's late nights and sleeping in:-)



Barter

This is something I am still getting the hang of, but I now know that any product or service that doesn't have an outright price tag is barter-ready. As a foreigner this is difficult because they already know we are ignorant, but I have given it a try and got a cheaper price (or the original price a local would pay haha). There are markets and food stalls everywhere you go in Bangkok, and you can barter a cheaper price for anything from clothing to kitchen utensils. It starts to become addictive, kind of like a clear-out discount sale.



Go off the beaten track

In a huge and somewhat overwhelming city like Bangkok it is easy to stick to the main areas close to public transport or well-known spots. The best thing you can possibly do is walk out of your way to find somewhere or something interesting. Some of my best days here so far have been spent at a pop-up food stand down an alley-way, a foot massage salon a few roads down or admiring a really cool building whilst asking for directions. These are the kinds of places that expose Thai culture in its truest form, amidst the high-rise buildings and fancy shopping centres. Always use common sense when going out of your comfort zone though, you don't want to get lost or scammed!



Try everything at least once

Why travel, if not to try weird and wonderful things from a different part of the world? Sometimes it will be a disaster, but most of the time its such a rewarding experience and I have found some of my favourite foods and drinks by taking a chance. With the language barrier included, you could often end up with something you didn't order in the first place (it helps if the food is right in front of you so that you can point at it). I have tried quite a few weird and wonderful things since living in Bangkok, such as pork balls, squid on a stick, the spiciest soup known to man, green noodles, chicken feet (yes, you read right). We have probably tried every type of beer available in Bangkok because its cheaper than wine, but beware not to try Siam Sato! I still have no idea what this alcoholic beverage actually is but it tastes awful. Be adventurous and take a chance, but don't eat anything too unknown because 'Bangkok Belly' is real.



Convenience

I hate to bash my country because I love South Africa with all my heart and I have become extremely patriotic (this happens when you move to another continent), but I just have to say their overall service delivery is somewhat shitty. In Bangkok, however, you can hail a taxi within 5 minutes no matter where you are, get a wifi router and full television package installed within minutes, buy anything from beauty products to alcohol at any time of the day or night at a 7/11 that is located every few metres (there are about 7000 stores in bkk alone), and order food online or with a simple phone call-this includes takeouts and monthly groceries. Don't even get me started on how amazing the MRT and BTS skytrains are-my mind is blown by the efficiency. I am realising more and more how easy life is in Bangkok, and how one can become very lazy when you have everything at your finger tips. Thank goodness we have a gym at our new condo! And airconditioning... and a swimming pool.x




No comments :

Post a Comment