Thursday 21 May 2015

Expat life in BKK

What is it really like for an expat living in Bangkok? Well let me just say it is not easy to begin with, but it is a lifestyle I wouldn't be able to afford back in South Africa that is for sure. When I decided to  move to a foreign country I had to realise that I was not just here to visit for a few days, I needed to find an apartment and settle in. This whole process of making bkk my home was unexpectedly easy in some ways and equally frustrating in others. What I did have to accept straight off the bat was that my life back in South Africa could in no way be replicated in great big Bangkok (as much as I tried).

First and foremost was the search for an apartment, and naturally Trav and I had a small list of requirements:

1. Furnished
2. Clean
3. Airconditioning
4. Close to the BTS (skytrain)

The last requirement was most important, as we rely solely on public transport to get around  everywhere, so this narrowed down the search to places situated along the BTS (sky train) line. I was so nervous about the language barrier and certain miscommunication problems whilst finding a place through an estate agent, but we were referred to a lovely thai lady who was bilingual and made the whole process so easy for us. 

There were a few hits and misses, but it literally took no les than 3 days to find our perfect space with everything we wanted at an apartment block called The Key! You can get a 1 bedroom apartment for anything between 10 000 and 15 000 baht that has everything you could possibly need, including a swimming pool, a gym, a convenience store and excellent security to name a few. Not only that, but the apartment we chose had only finished being built in the last year which meant that everything in it was BRAND NEW. I couldn't think of anything better! As you can see in photos below, there was still wrapping on the furniture and so many unexpected items included in the rent such as bedding and cutlery. 




The surrounding area is super zen with fountains and modern decor, free wifi in the lobby and admin staff that answer any query or problem you may have. We couldn't find our geyser switch when we first moved in, and an electrician was knocking on our door within minutes. The one thing you can always rely on in Bangkok is service delivery for sure.


Another part of expat life in Thailand that is so different to back home, is that I can walk out on to the street at any given time and there will be street food, ice coffee stands, markets and an abundance of taxi's to take you wherever you wish. There are obviously many comforts of home that I miss, but life for a foreigner in bkk is a comfortable one. x

No comments :

Post a Comment