Tuesday 25 November 2014

Tips for going on Contiki

Going on a Contiki trip is possibly the best decision you could ever make as a young student/adult. It is one of the most affordable ways to travel, and it is extremely well-organised with experienced tour-guides, well-coordinated activities and great value for money in terms of accommodation and food.

I would personally recommend this to anyone wanting to see the world on a budget, and between myself and the friends of mine that have also gone, I have only ever heard positive feedback and tons of epic stories! Since I learnt some things the hard way, and did other things right first time round, I would like to give out some helpful advice to anyone who is thinking of going. There is not much that can go wrong, but make the most of your opportunity by being prepared and having an unforgettable experience!




Do everything

On any Contiki trip you go on, there is a set itinerary of activities and tourist attractions that are built into the trip and the overall cost you pay, and then there are optional extra's. You will receive a list on your first day for you to tick what you would like to do and what you would rather miss, and pay a separate fee thereafter. This list is also emailed to you before you leave for your trip so you have time to look over and maybe even research each one.

In my opinion, just do it all. You have spent months planning and saving and getting ready for the trip of a lifetime, why not spend some extra cash on more activities? If your Contiki group is anything like mine, everyone will end up ticking everything anyway, and no one likes to deal with the dreaded FOMO!

Choose your trip wisely

When deciding which Contiki trip to go on, you have the choice of camping (1), staying in hostels and B&B's (2) or staying in hotels (3). The prices obviously vary with option 1 being the most reasonable, but you need to decide first and foremost what kind of person you are and what type of budget you are looking at. This coming from a self-confessed city girl, don't go on a Contiki camping trip if you don't like camping- you wont get as much out of your experience! I have only ever chosen option 2, and I feel that it might not be as authentic as camping or as luxurious as hotels, but its comfortable and includes a bit of everything.

Once you have chosen what type of Contiki trip you want to go on, you have to then decide how long you want to go for and how many countries you want to visit in that time. There are three options from easy pace (1) to in-depth explorer (2) to discovery plus (3). For details on exactly which trip suits you, go grab a free Contiki travel guide from your nearest travel agent. Remember to stay in your budget, being in debt is not fun!

Save, save, save!

I was fortunate enough to have been given a Contiki trip from my parents for my 21st birthday present (after going on about it for months), and all I had to do was save for my spending money. The amount of money you need to set aside is pretty much determined by which part of the world you are keen to venture into. If you are heading to Asia for example, the currency and cost of living is lower than that of the UK or Europe.

It also depends on the strength of the currency of your native country. I went to Europe as a South African and the Euro is obviously much stronger than the Rand. I found that spending money per individual could range from R10000 to R30000 respectively (between $1000 and $3000). I am going to write about ways to earn and save money in my next post so that will elaborate on the topic.

Don't over-pack

I am an expert when it comes to packing light, but believe me when I say even I packed way too much for my trip! Contiki trips are renowned for being super laid back, and I found that after day 3 no one cared about outfit repeats, a stain on a t shirt or a crumpled scarf. You are in a foreign country on an adventure, you do not need to pack like you are going to fashion week in Milan. Pack clothes that are comfortable and that you know you will wear, and the best option is to have lots of neutrals that you can mix and match.

There are often washing facilities at some of the places you stay at so there is no reason to over-pack I promise you. Bring a sleeping bag if you are staying in B&B's and hostels because sometimes they don't provide blankets. Also (on a side note if you don't already have one), buy a light-weight quick drying bath towel! Quite a few of my Australian friends brought these and they were so useful when it came to the humid days where nothing has even a slight chance of drying.

Ditch the excess

Even when you haven't over-packed, you find yourself struggling to close your suitcase after multiple shopping episodes at each different city, not to mention souvenirs for family and friends. Speaking from experience, I was only a few days in when I realised I would have a problem in the suitcase department! You have to remember that on Contiki you carry everything with you from place to place, so once things start getting too overwhelming for you to pack, its just not fun at all.

I found a way around this though, and it is slightly brutal- leave the things you don't necessarily need anymore behind. Whether its a hat that has been squashed, a top you have worn multiple times, or a cheap jacket you bought along but its too hot to wear it- ditch it as you go from place to place. I even got rid of my towel and sleeping bag on the last day! Do whatever you need to do to avoid being weighed down-physically and mentally.

Make friends with everyone

The reason people to on Contiki is for this very reason- to make friends! It is a truly unique experience where you get to meet between 30 and 50 complete strangers and form lifelong bonds. These people on your trip become like family as you do everything together for the length of your trip. Don't make the mistake of closing yourself off to meeting new people, or just sticking with your friend or partner the entire time.

If you are an individual who prefers to be independent and do your own thing then rather go on a solo trip instead of choosing Contiki because they are meant to be shared among the group. To this day I remain in contact with the friends I met on my trip, and I hope to visit them in their respective countries in the future! Open yourself up and make some new friends.

Make the most of spare time

Even though Contiki trips are action-packed and full of activities and adventures, you still get plenty of downtime to relax and do your own thing. In this spare time, don't make the mistake of lying around doing nothing (unless you need a serious power nap). You have this amazing opportunity to explore your surroundings, find new places, eat interesting food and take epic photos.

Plan your spare time wisely, even if it means sitting quietly in your room writing about your trip each day (I somehow managed to do this before I went to bed most nights). Of course everyone likes to go out and have a good time at the clubs and bars, and you will get ample opportunities to experience night life in each place you go to, but don't go as far as to ruin the next day of traveling because you are too hungover to think straight. You're going to regret it I swear!

Take tons of photos

You might think this goes without saying (especially with our tech savvy generation) but when you go on Contiki it is a whirlwind adventure where you find yourself caught up in the moment, or ready to head off to the next place and its too late. I regret not taking more photos than I did because I wasn't prepared, or my camera had died, or I ran out of storage space (I had bad luck as you can imagine).

The truth is that after a while memories fade, but photos help retain those memories as soon as you have a look at them. I remember being in awe of the buildings and architecture in Europe but I kept telling myself no one would care about a hundred photos of buildings. Well now all I think is who cares about everyone else? I want to see those hundreds of photos dammit!

Be your own doctor

This is another 'learn from me!' example. I had a bad reaction to bed bug bites after staying at a hostel in Venice, which resulted in an awful itchy rash across my left arm and hand. Other known as 'the floating city', the dampness in Venice meant a lot of creepy crawlies. I might be slightly exaggerating, don't get me wrong, I just had a horrible experience and didn't pack any type of medication or cream.

The Contiki guide had a basic medical kit but only for more serious injuries and cuts. Whether you have allergies or not, bring miniature versions of the basic anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, itch cream etc so you don't suffer in silence like I did! x

*For any extra information and bookings, check out the site www.contiki.com or leave me a comment below

No comments :

Post a Comment