Tuesday 2 December 2014

Tips for Summer weight loss

It is officially summer time and what better reminder to start looking after yourself than muffin tops and cellulite Sally! I have been on my own lil weight loss journey since putting on weight over December/January a year ago. This was due to a bad reaction to 'the pill' and eating and drinking too much over the festive season (I can't blame it all on the pill you guys).



I have since done a lot of healthy living, exercise and dieting research and I have also seen what works for me and my body. These are general tips and some may be more beneficial to me than to everyone else. Let me be clear here: I have no qualifications in dietetics or personal training whatsoever, this is just a list I have compiled that has helped me reach my personal goal of losing 9 kg's (20 pounds) and 5% body fat in 8 months.

You might probably be thinking, '8 months?? That's too long!' Well in all honesty, if you want to lose weight the healthy way without going on extreme fad diets and starving yourself (without putting the weight back on once you stop) or killing yourself at the gym, then this is the only way to go. It was also my main goal to tone my body and be strong and healthy instead of losing general weight. I am so happy with the results of months of hard work and a complete lifestyle change!

5-a-day rule

Throughout my weight loss, I stuck quite strictly to the 5-a-day rule, which is that you should have 2 fruits and 3 vegetables a day. This maintains your healthy fiber intake and ensures you have all the recommended nutrients and vitamins. Fruit are carbohydrates, so it is important to understand that you can't just eat fruit all day and think you're going to lose weight.

Obviously each fruit has different benefits, with bananas being high in calories but a great source of energy, and berries being low in calories and full of antioxidants. Vegetables, on the other hand, are your friends. You can literally eat as many veggies as you want!

Water, water, water

I can't emphasize this enough people, drink lots of water! It is recommended that you drink at least 8 glasses a day to flush out toxins and regulate your body. It has actually been proven that you can't function at full capacity if you are not hydrated! So often people mistake the feeling of dehydration with being hungry.

Carry a bottle of water around with you, or take one to work and make sure you refill it at least once before you go home. If you're not crazy about the taste of water, add slices of lemon (which actually speed up weight loss btw), or mint leaves or pineapple.

No sugar, no salt

This was personally one of the biggest changes in my lifestyle, I cut sugar and salt out of pretty much everything I put in my mouth. I made this decision only a few months ago after reading an article about this family that cut sugar out of their diets for a year, and the whole experience they went through. It really inspired me to try and do the same! Here is a link of the article 'Our year of no sugar' www.everydayhealth.com

My day to day sugar dosage in tea and coffee and adding salt to meals has stopped, and furthermore I drink less milk in my coffee, and swapped normal tea for green tea. The best way is to slowly wean yourself off it, and before you know you won't even crave it anymore. If I sip my dads coffee by mistake (he has 2 spoons of sugar in every cup) I actually pull a face and want to spit it out!

Lean protein

I have never really been a huge fan of red meats, but now more than ever I choose a fish or chicken option over pork or steak. I feel that it is lighter and makes me feel fuller for longer. Also instead of teaming meals with creamy sauces and gravy, I just season the chicken with herbs and spices so it forms a nice taste while its cooking. Lean protein is so beneficial because it has a high protein content and a low fat content, which aids in boosting your metabolism.

Psyllium husk

If you have that feeling of being constantly bloated, and your bathroom visits are far from regular, this means that your body is holding onto waste for too long. Constipation, cramps and other related stomach problems all stem from the lack of flow through the intestines, and result in excess weight.

Psyllium husks are the most natural source of fiber you can possibly get, and the way it works is by moving waste efficiently through your intestines. I know I'm going into detail here but the stuff is just fantastic, and I'm all about doing it the natural way. You can buy a packet of it at any health shop or pharmacy and its inexpensive. All you do is put a spoon or two of the husks into a glass of water and down it like a shot (it doesn't taste so good). Do this once or twice a day depending on how often you need it, and you will see results within 2 days!

HIIT training

HIIT training (high intensity interval training) is the latest exercise to gain popularity in a big way. Vicky Pattison of Geordie Shore fame swears by this method of exercise after losing a ton of weight. You combine short bursts of high intensity exercises followed by very short rests, constantly moving inbetween. This keeps your heart rate up and burns calories in a shorter amount of time. What I love about this kind of training is that you are using your own body weight to do so, and it can sometimes take less than 20 minutes. If you are someone that likes working out to fitness DVD's, try Vicky Pattison's 7 Day Slim or Insanity Extreme Home Workouts

Smoothies

I love smoothies, I'm borderline obsessed with them! They are so easy to make and you can take it with you in a portable sippy cup if you're on the go. You can also try the green smoothie fad by adding vegetables (carrots, avocado, kale) to your smoothie, along with a few spices (ginger, cinnamon). If youre making a post workout smoothie just add a scoop of whey protein to your smoothie. This is my simple go-to smoothie recipe:
  • Two tablespoons of low fat greek yoghurt
  • One small banana
  • A handful of chopped strawberries/pawpaw/kiwi/mango (depending on what is in season)
  • A few ice cubes
  • One teaspoon of honey to taste
Measure yourself

I prefer tracking my measurements each week instead of weighing myself, because weight can yo-yo up and down depending on how much water you're retaining or what food you ate that day. It really isn't a good indication of weight loss because as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat.

I have a little book that I record my measurements in each week, or fortnightly, and I use a measuring tape to measure my thigh, arm, waist and hips. My waist measurement decrease has actually shocked me! I couldn't believe the dramatic size difference since January.

Morning gym

Deciding to go to gym before work instead of afterwards due to the huge masses of people and lack of parking, actually changed my entire mindset. I now wake up in the morning with so much energy, ready to take on the day, and once gym is done it is out of the way so that I can to carry on with work and rest in the evening.

I don't know if this is scientifically proven or not, but I have lost weight more rapidly going to gym in the morning than in the afternoon or evening. I don't know whether its the fact that your body is burning actual fat instead of the days food in your tummy, but its like magic! Also, nothing beats catching a beautiful sunrise and taking in the fresh morning air. x

No comments :

Post a Comment