Wednesday 10 December 2014

A letter to my future child

Dear Charlotte/Hunter/Rome/Saige/Branson/Everleigh/Tanner/Vivienne

Those are my favourite names for non-existent future you, which future me will probably have a good laugh at no doubt. Whatever we decide your name to be, it will become your identity for the rest of your life so no pressure on me or anything!

I think so often of what you will be like one day, whether you will be extroverted or shy, have dark hair or blonde, be good at maths (no thanks to my genes) or artistic, and whether I will see parts of me in your personality . I thought that it would be an opportunity missed if I didn't give you the chance to meet 23 year old me, who is currently writing at her desk in her office in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

These are the things that I would like you to know, that the future 'mommy' version of me might forget or find difficult to explain. I hope that you take in each one and maybe learn more about who I am as Sarah, not just who I am as your mother. I also hope that in turn you learn more about your own life and how immensely important you are.

1. Whenever and however you come into this world, just know that I have been waiting for you for so long, and you have been perfectly planned and created to be part of my little family.

2. Yes, I am actually cool. I listen to rap music, I follow the latest fashion trends and I am very street smart. I know that I will possibly be mocked for doing embarrassing dances or saying the wrong thing in front of your friends one day, but just know that there was once a time that I was young, cool and carefree.

3. Your grandparents have told me on many occasions that there are certain things I will only understand when I have children, so this will be a lesson for us both. When I shout at you or reprimand you, it is only because I want you to learn from your mistakes and become a better person.

4. I will answer every question you may ever have as best I can. I won't always have the right answers but I will at least try find out for you. I want you to feel like you can come to me for anything, and I will be there for you when you do.

5. In this life you will meet many people, some of which will stay in your life and others that will merely pass by. Remind yourself that you need to be surrounded by people who bring good, positive things into your life, and let go of those who bring you down in any way.

6. When you go to birthday parties, don't eat everything in sight. I know it's hard but you will just end up feeling really awful and possibly throwing up on the jumping castle (learn from me). When you are older and I don't let you go to parties and clubs, understand that its because I want you to be a well-behaved and respected lady/gentleman. Your time will come.

7. I promise to be present as much as possible, and play games with you and teach you to swim and ride a bike and go fishing. If you ever feel that I am not doing enough activities with you then call me out on it! Find a hobby or a skill and improve on it whenever you can.

8. Work hard in school and it will pay off- trust me. Never stop learning new information because knowledge is power, and education is a gift! When you are looking for the job of your dreams one day you need to be well-educated and well-experienced. Don't be confused or upset when I advise you to start paying your own way one day.

9. Always show kindness and compassion for those who have less than you. Do your part for society, no matter how small or insignificant you may think it is. The world needs more people that care about others instead of just themselves.

10. Even when we fight or argue (especially when you are a teenager, I am prepared for the inevitable door slamming!) I will always unconditionally love you.

All my love and adoration, Sarah x

No comments :

Post a Comment