Wednesday 21 January 2015

My Mozambican Escape

Hi everyone I'm back! After a much needed break away from my crazy busy life last year, I am home and feeling refreshed and ready to tackle 2015 in a big way (watch this space).

So I was lucky enough to spend 8 beautiful days in Malongane, Mozambique. Mozambique is one of those destinations that is right on our doorsteps as South Africans, and we sometimes forget how lucky we are to experience paradise only a few hours away from home. Our car trip to the place we were staying was a bumpy one, but the sandy roads didn't stop us from taking in the beautiful surroundings as we drove. As soon as you cross the border from South Africa to Mozambique, you immediately take note of the sticky humid air, the untamed palm trees and the sand crunching between your toes. Adventure awaits!

As I have said before, a beach holiday is my ultimate getaway, and what better place than the shores of Mozambique? That afternoon as we arrived, we did as I assume all sane people would do. We had a good stretch from the long car ride, threw on our bikini's and board shorts and went straight down to the sea. The path down to the ocean from our place was possibly just as beautiful as the ocean itself. I felt like I was on a tropical island with trees twisting and forming a canopy above us, and I would be lying if I said I didn't take a moment or two to appreciate it.




The sea was clear and blue, and the waves were perfectly gentle for swimming in and jumping over, even though it was high tide (in Durban it's a different story guys). It was in this moment, floating on my back while the waves softly tilted me upwards and downwards, and the sun set in the distance, that I remembered what true unadulterated happiness feels like. There is this word that my boyfriend told me about, called 'eudaimonia', which was used by Aristotle to explain a complete sense of happiness in terms of being healthy, happy and prosperous. That was me for 8 days, I never wanted to leave.



Whether it was reading magazines with a cocktail or smoothie in hand or tanning by the pool on the deck, I was in my element. Looking out to the ocean as far as the eye can see, and having perfect weather every single day was just Mozambique showing off completely. We spent afternoons going for walks, sliding down sand dunes, or trying to catch sea lice and crabs on the shore. It was a child-like and carefree experience for me, after months of schedules, hard work and meeting deadlines.





My new obsession, however, is snorkeling. I put on my unused matching blue flippers, snorkel and goggles and I was set. I have never really had the opportunity to snorkel in a calm ocean and actually see fish before this holiday! Hard to believe since I have lived by the beach for years, but in Mozambique there are so many reefs and shallow waters to explore, unspoiled by rough waves and currents.

I snorkeled every single day at low tide, only retreating from the luke warm water to eat or drink. We saw an octopus, a moray eel, a starfish and a dog fish to name a few, and this beautiful giant parrot fish (I didn't realise how big they are omg). I channeled my inner Jessica Alba from Into the Blue and even considered starting a career in diving (I'm not even joking, I am convinced this is my thing).



Lets not forget the nights out on the town in city-side Ponta Malongane and Ponta D'ouro, where we sipped on R&R's (more rum than raspberry) and danced barefoot in the sand at the local bars. The nightlife in Mozambique is rustic, laid-back and like nothing I have experienced anywhere else. You walk from one small bar to another, being greeted by friendly locals and browsing the sidewalk markets and stalls. Be careful of those R&R's though people... they will get you.



As my skin darkened, my hair curled and my eyes grew sleepy each night, I gained a new found appreciation for this tropical paradise I was lucky enough to enjoy. I left 8 days later with a heavy but full heart, and I knew I would be back soon. x


No comments :

Post a Comment