Tuesday 22 September 2015

The Radisson Blu: 27 Bites buffet

The beauty of living in a diverse city like Bangkok is that you can go from sitting on a plastic chair eating a noodle bowl at a local market to dining at a 5 star restaurant. As much as I love Thai street food, every now and then you just need a treat. Since it was mine and Trav's anniversary on the weekend, we decided to book a Sunday all-you-can-eat lunch at the hotel restaurant 27 Bites at The Radisson Blu. It.was.unbelievable.


Upon arriving at the magnificently blue hotel, I suddenly felt aware of myself (as normal people do when surrounded by extreme wealth), and made every conscious effort to not seem over-eager about the fact that we were about to dine like royalty. I didn't hold my composure for much longer when I entered the restaurant on the second floor and immediately took in the room full of perfectly displayed dishes. I couldn't help but embarrassingly point at everything with my mouth open as we were shown to our table ('Are those lobsters??'). 

The dessert section with sweet jars

As soon as we were seated we were offered a glass of wine, and given our first plate to start the buffet. At this point I already knew two things: 1- The wine tasted like the grapes had died and gone to wine-making heaven, and I will take advantage of the 'free flow' option, and 2- I had purposefully made sure I was starving and would waste no time in plating up. I am aware that I may sound a little less cultured than I should, but lets be honest in saying that no one is gracious at a buffet!



This is what I managed to fit on my multiple plates throughout the 2 hours that I was present at the buffet (in between sips of delicious wine).

Starters:

I went straight for the seafood section and I hadn't had good sushi in aaaages. It was fresh and tasty with all the extras of ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. 
I also had a few oysters with lemon juice and a bit of chilli just because.
Prawns. Cold prawns and warm prawns and garlic prawns and buttery juicy prawns. I can't say how many I had, and I went back later on for seconds. Their 1000 island sauce was unreal!
Soft strips of Norwegian salmon pieces of tender meat on a stick.
I tried to stay away from the bread section as it was part of my buffet strategy not to fill up too quickly and waste my tastebuds- success!

Starters of seafood everything
Main course:

I went straight to the curry section that I spotted earlier on. Being a South African who is spoilt for choice when it comes to curries, I was very pleased with the selection on offer. I opted for a helping of the spicy lamb curry.
I then tried a small selection of some of the main dishes on offer, from grilled herb seabass to medium rare fillet (party in my mouth).
I also had a braised pork rib and some tasty steamed veg.
Along with this was a variation of sides and sauces for your every need.

Dessert:

Easily my favorite part of any meal is the dessert, which I made a concerted effort to leave room for. 
I chose the classic creme brulee along with white chocolate mousse and a few dark chocolates (with fillings from turkish delight to orange tart).
I also had a macaroon or two for obvious reasons, and they were crispy and delicious.

If you thought I had thrown in the towel after this you would be mistaken, how could I miss out the cheese section! That's right, there were cheeses of every type on display, along with stuffed olives, breadsticks, pickles and nuts. I was in cheese heaven and I didn't know where to stop. My favorite was the melted Camembert- I have no words.

So many desserts and only one plate

The service was fantastic to say the least. My wine and water glass was never left empty and plates were taken away before I could even blink. Cutlery was replaced and the staff were cheerful and extremely accommodating. The atmosphere was also very relaxing, with stunning decor and an acoustic guitarist singing well-known songs in the background. 

I plan on coming back to 27 Bites at The Radisson Blu as often as my budget will allow, and I intend on eating just as much as I did before. It really is an international food experience that takes your tastebuds from one side of the world to the other. x


No comments :

Post a Comment