Wednesday 26 August 2015

Island Getaway: Koh Samed

Of all the holidays and trips I have been on in my life, staying on an island for the first time definitely tops the list of experiences for me. The island of Koh Samed, situated in Rayong province in Thailand, is nothing short of paradise. Spending 4 days there was a moment in time for me, and I just can't wait to go back.

One of the quieter beaches on Koh Samed

It is a 3 hour drive from central Bangkok to Ban Phe pier where you catch a ferry to get to the island. The 20 minute ferry ride brings about the first real bout of anticipation as you get closer and closer to the island, wondering what it will be like when you actually get there. The weather was awful on the day we arrived, with bad winds and stormy clouds (it is the rainy season after all) but nothing could dampen our spirits! We booked into Pandora Resort (info below), which I would recommend to anyone staying on the island as it is brand new with two pools, spacious rooms and the staff are fantastically helpful. It is also a little further from the main beach and party area which was a relaxing escape when needed.

Our view from the balcony having afternoon drinks
The next day we were lucky enough to wake up to clear blue skies, and not a drop of rain for the remainder of our stay! First thing was to book a scooter to get around the small island (it is only 14km from top to bottom), which is easily walkable but we were on holiday of course! Besides, scooters make everything more fun and they are super cheap to rent at 200 Baht per day. I was so surprised by the abundance of restaurants, shops, street food and pubs/bars dotted all along the main roads and the beaches themselves. Maybe its because I didn't know what to expect for one of Thailand's smaller and more inconspicuous islands, but Koh Samed exceeded every expectation.

Beach bars come alive in the evenings
By far the most worthy of your time is an evening spent at Ploy Bar, which is very popular on weekends for the awesome vibe, the music and the fire shows! The fire show that I was lucky enough to watch was an epic performance, and went on for at least an hour. These guys know what they are doing when it comes to fire tricks! I was also very impressed as I proceeded to watch my boyfriend jump through a hoop of fire afterwards when the audience got involved.

The epic fire show
Days were spent sipping on coconuts on the beach, tanning and swimming in the clear blue water. Evenings were spent taking in the nightlife at various restaurants and bars, eating our fair share of both Thai and western food, and enjoying an infamous bucket of Samsong or two. How could I go back to reality after this!

Coconuts on Sai Kaew (main) Beach

All of the above amounted to arguably the best holiday I have ever been on. On the last night we decided to ditch the crowds and the bustling beach parties for a quiet bar right on the sand, playing reggae music and selling cheap cocktails. We grabbed the two deck chairs that were closest to the waters edge and completely relaxed whilst taking everything in. On the way back to our hotel we found this beautiful spot with a swing, a hammock and a colourful deserted beach hut. I vowed to go back the next day and it looked even better than I had thought!

My favourite spot
There is still so much I want to explore when I go back again, and I recommend this island to anyone who wants the island escape without a big price tag or a touristy crowd. If you would like any tips or suggestions please feel free to comment below. x

Pandora Resort
+66 085 277 9607
pandoraresort@gmail.com
*Look for specials on www.bookings.com

1 comment :