Tuesday 16 September 2014

Be present

So often I found myself being distracted. I would be talking to someone and look down at my phone when a notification popped up, or gaze behind a shoulder at the television programme that caught my eye. The worst part is that I caught others doing it and would feel offended.


Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, BBM, Pinterest, Tumblr... I haven't even mentioned all of the social media sites that most people frequent on a daily basis. Why is it that we can type out constant twitter updates with efficient fervour, but can't maintain eye contact with a person long enough to ignore our beeping phones?

Let me share my personal shame. A few months ago, after a long day at work, I came home and sat in front of the television. I put on one of the movies I had recorded, placed my laptop in front of me to finish off an assignment, and I had my phone placed strategically in my hand checking instagram. At this point my dad arrived home and greeted me, and all I could manage was a feeble mumble 'hello' back to him. He then said something to me that would change my ways from then on: 'maybe if you didn't have so many distractions around you, you would be able to focus on one thing completely'. He was so right. Instead of calling me out for not showing him the attention he deserved from me, he pointed out the fact that I won't be able to do anything properly if I'm doing everything at once.

The same goes for having a conversation, sitting in a lecture, finishing a task or going for lunch at a restaurant. So many fragments of our daily lives slip through our fingers because we are always distracting ourselves. We are guilty of living in a world where technological forms of communication such as cellphones, laptops and ipads are actually hindering real-life communication. Yes, you've heard it all before I know. What are you going to do to change it?

Since the incident of my over-loaded technology moment I decided to make small changes in my life. Obviously I wasn't going to rule out every form of social media, we don't need to reduce ourselves to cavemen. Instead I made a more conscious effort to be present. It sounds pretty simple but it's more of a challenge than you think.

When you are completing a task
Unless you are a multi-tasking prodigy, simplify your workload. Break tasks up into manageable portions to be completed so that you don't feel overwhelmed or confused. Avoid all technological distractions and give yourself a time limit before having a break.

When you are walking
Every now and then it is actually refreshing to take your ipod out of your ears, put your cellphone away and just listen and look at everything going on around you. If your eyes and ears are always focused on a screen you miss out on the present.

When you are with someone
This is the most important one. When you are having a conversation with a friend/boyfriend/family member, put your phone down (put it on silent if you have to). Listen to people when they talk and remind yourself that your phone wont explode due to unreplied messages. x

No comments :

Post a Comment