Wednesday 4 March 2015

Confessions of a 'Yes' Girl

I have this terrible affliction, and anyone who knows me would have at one point been on the receiving end. I like to say yes to everything. Let me stop you before you think 'oh good for her, she is adventurous and spontaneous'... um NO. I like to think that I am this carefree and nonchalant individual who seizes every opportunity, but I seldom follow through and it's such a problem in my life. Tell me I'm not the only one!




A fancy lunch at the end of the month when I know I am broke- YES! A trip to visit friends in another city when I have a million things on my to do list- YES! Offering to help someone move house when all I want to do is hibernate in bed and binge watch Breaking Bad- YES! It's not that I have fomo (okay maybe just a little) but rather because I am a downright people-pleaser.

People-pleasing is my jam, and I am unfortunately pretty good at it until it backfires because I don't follow through. That delightful feeling I get when I tell someone that YES! I will come on a camping weekend with them (kill me now) clouds my reasoning, and puts me in an unnecessary predicament...

Option 1: Do I spend a weekend miserably pretending to be happy whilst eating canned beans around a fire and sleeping on the floor inside a flimsy tent with muddy feet, strange animal sounds and bugs as companions? (this thought makes me physically ill)

Option 2: Do I wait until the day before when I realise I don't even own a sleeping bag to pathetically tell them I won't be able to make it?

Simply telling someone I can't make it seems rude to me, even though it is way better than admitting I can't when its too late, and inevitably letting them down (I always have this delayed realisation). It's also a combination of my overly optimistic mind-set telling me that I will be able to do everything and be everywhere. Sometimes I like to think that I can split myself in to two and be there for everyone, but it really is impossible. It's one of those things that will only improve as I get older, and I am slowly but reluctantly acknowledging the fact that sometimes someone has to be told NO, and that is okay.

I have those rare occasions where I do make it to everywhere I promised I would be, but I end up exhausted and I don't give each task or person my full attention. Maybe some of you do the same, and I urge you to learn from me. Tell people straight away if you know in your heart you won't be able to make it. I am all about pointing out personal flaws and improving them, so hopefully now that I have this in writing I can remind myself more vehemently. x




No comments :

Post a Comment