Tuesday 10 June 2014

Money don't come easy for a reason

Am I the only one who thinks about money all the time? How to earn it, how to save it (and my personal favourite) how to spend it! Our lives are ruled by what we can and can't have, whether we realise it or not.
What makes me nervous as a young person is that we have to start building our careers to be able to make money and buy a house and a car and a million other things that require money. There is so much pressure placed on us not only by our parents but our peers too. Finding out that friends my age just bought a small property or shares in Allen Gray make me want to re-evaluate my life. Why havnt I invested in property as yet? What have they done that I havnt done in the same amount of time?
The reality that has only dawned on me now, 5 years out of high school, is that my parents money is no longer my money. They don't generate my income, and it's a tough pill to swallow.

The understanding of how much my parents have spent on my general well-being over the years is also a shock. I've recently started paying for my gym contract, cell phone contract and car insurance. That is a relatively short list of fixed expenses, and I nearly had a mild heart attack when the debit orders first started coming off, removing my hard earned money from my account faster than I could blink.

I had a moment at an airport in Amsterdam, where I had just finished a trip around Europe and was now all out of Euro's. By all out, I mean not even a coin was left. My flight was delayed, which meant I would be in this airport for 5 hours, and I was hungry. Not just peckish, but rather that burning hunger you get when youre busy at work and cant think of anything else but eating. In that moment, sitting on an airport bench more broke than a street beggar, I realised how helpless one can feel without money. I had no credit card to whip out, no money I could borrow from my parents, it was just me and my empty purse and my empty stomach.

I'm still on my own journey of discovery, trying to figure out what career I want and how much I can actually contribute to society. Every now and then I have a fleeting idea about what I can do with my life, such as start a charity or write a children's book. It cant be that difficult can it? Well if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

It fascinates me how some people become successful almost over night, how can I sign up for that? Maybe I could invent something or start a booming internet service? It seems easier than studying for 4 years and earning an average salary. Meh x

No comments :

Post a Comment